The recently released music video “Wandering On” for local Edmonton band Sudden Love featured a trench coat filled with pies during it’s climax. The main character in the video chases his old self and is forced to confront his former pie addiction.
When I was creating this video, I felt the trench coat with pies was an important image to try to communicate that pie is a drug in the world of this story. However, due to our timeline and budget I was unable to order order fake pies online. So, I made four fake pies in a week.
The materials: my usual default of pink foam and acrylic paint.
Initial Steps in Pie Creation: Foam Shaping
- Research and print images of what pies look like
- Cut pie sized cylinders out of the pink foam
- Carve the pink form to look like pie pieces
- Sand the pink foam pie peices
Second Steps in Pie Creation: Initial Paint Layers
- Prime them with white acrylic paint
- Paint the base colours
- Paint on more details
- Use art chalk pastels to add mat detailing
Final Steps in Pie Creation: Details and Attachement
- Prepare the pie tin with holes and thread for attachment to trench coat
- Hot-glue pie pieces to pie tins
- Use acrylic gel and paint to create fake pie sauce
- Paint any more details
- Use more art chalk pastels to add more mat detailing
- Use more acrylic gel to glaze the pies
- Attach to trench coat with sawing thread and glue dots
This was a fun process, and I really enjoy making props. I hope this blog post was informative! For another example of making a prop out of foam please see my fake sword blog post. I go into more detail about sanding in it, and talk about a different painting method.